Darren Robertson wins Challenge Cup XXXIX on a night filled with intense drama
Saturday, 21 September 2013 00:00
(09-21-2013 Dacono, CO) The only thing sure going into Challenge Cup XXXIX was that Bruce Yackey was on route to winning his 8th track championship but he would have liked to add a Challenge Cup win to his dominating season performance. Both the Super Stock and Figure 8 season championships were completely up for grabs as both divisions had tight season standings.
Gillet Vet Super Late Models
The Robertson family has a legendary history at CNS with Odie Robertson and Jerry being two of the greatest racers to ever strap on a helmet at the speedway. Now the 3rd generation driver Darren Robertson is attempting to cement his name along with his father and grandfather at the track and he made a huge step towards that goal winning the XXXIX Challenge Cup in front of an excited CNS crowd.
This was by no means an easy victory for Darren as he started the 100 lap feature 6th and had to work his way around some of CNS's best drivers. #39 Jack Nugent took a big lead early over #84 Matt Zwingelberg but after a caution for #37 Derek Murphy, Zwingelberg grabbed the lead from Nugent on the restart. After 25 laps #31 Rick Smith had moved his way into second place and appeared to be headed for the lead yet got loose and spun down the back straight and made contact with the turn 3 wall.
#7 Adam Deines, #39 Jack Nugent, and #66 Darren Bucklan were involved in a crash. (Starr photo)
#12 Bruce Yackey and #22 Chris Eggleston were now in Zwingelberg's rear view mirror pushing for the lead. Near the halfway mark of the race #7 Adam Deines, #39 Jack Nugent, and #66 Darren Bucklan were all involved in a crash coming out of turn 2. Unfortunately for Bucklan he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up suffering the most damage to his car.
On the restart Robertson pulled ahead of Zwingelberg and secured the lead but near disaster struck as Darren got loose and almost spun. Darren did a great job saving the car from spinning but lost the lead to Zwingelberg.
Darren Robertson on route to his first ever Challenge Cup victory. (Starr photo)
A couple of late race caution flags setup the final scramble to the finish and if Robertson was to win his first ever Challenge Cup he was going to have to beat Bruce Yackey to do it. Lap after lap Robertson and Yackey battled side by side. Robertson was running the high groove and Yackey was down low. At times it seemed as if Darren would be able to clear Yackey but "the Moose" would find a way to pull even with Darren in the center of turns 1 and 2. With 10 laps to go neither driver was giving an inch and it was clear this one would go down to the wire.
But when the checkered flag flew the determined Robertson was not to be denied as he crossed the line out front taking the win. Yackey finished a close 2nd but couldn't be too disappointed as he won yet another season championship and this time by an amazing 82 points over Rick Smith.
#12 Bruce "the Moose" Yackey dominated the 2013 season standings and won his 8th track championship. (Starr photo)
Behind Robertson and Yackey, #27 Roger Avants took 3rd looking as if he found some speed as he was gaining on the leaders late in the race. #78 Darren Crocker finished 4th and Zwingelberg settled for 5th.
#45 Dalton Hewitt finished 11th which was more than enough to grab 2013 Rookie of the Year honors in the Super Late Models.
CNS legend Odie Robertson hugs his grandson Darren in winner's circle after Darren won Challenge Cup XXXIX. Odie finsihed 10th in the race. (Starr photo)
XXXIX Challenge Cup Winner: #11 Darren Robertson
FAST DASH: #39 Jack Nugent
DASH: #37 Derek Murphy
QUICK TIME: #22 Chris Eggleston 16.283
2013 Track Champion: #12 Bruce Yackey
NTC Logistics Super Stocks
SEE UPDATE BELOW....
Clearly the biggest surprise of the 2013 Super Stock season has been the emergence of #90 Kyle Patee as force to be reckoned with each and every night. Entering the final race of the 2013 season Patee led #3 Michael Cox by a single point in the season standings. The only other driver with a theoretical shot at the championship was the #33 of Bear Lynch. At the start of the feature #98 Tony Dugan lead the field but it didn't take long before Patee, Cox and Lynch were all up front battling for the race AND the championship.
A single point seperated #90 Kyle Patee and #3 Michael Cox heading into the final race. (Starr photo)
Lap after lap Cox kept a small lead on Patee who was trying to come out of turn 4 low and get under Cox, yet Cox would dive into turn 1 and retake the advantage not allowing Patee to make the move.
Late in the race Lynch made his own move on Patee and took over 2nd place. But neither Lynch nor Patee could find a way around the crafty veteran Michael Cox who not only took home the feature win but also won the 2013 season championship. Behind Cox, Lynch, and Patee, #46 Rick Lothert finished 4th, and #98 Tony Dugan finished an impressive 5th.
#90 Kyle Patee pulls up along-side #3 Michael Cox in winner's circle to congratutae him on a great season points battle. (Starr photo)
#10T Taylor Bellamy finished 10th in the race yet 6th in points which secured his spot as the 2013 rookie of the year.
UPDATE: After the 09-21-2013 Super Stock feature event both race winner #3 Michael Cox and 3rd place finisher #90 Kyle Patee were found to have illegal suspension in the post race tech. Due to the fact that this race was the final race and that the outcome of any penalties would dramatically effect the 2013 season standings every effort was made to insure the most accurate and fair decision. A rules committee meeting was held on Monday night and all parties involved were requested to attend. The agreed upon decision from the committee (and those that made the effort to attend the meeting) was that both Cox and Patee would be penalized and awarded last place finishes. Cox in 25th and Patee in 24th.
FEATURE WINNER: #33 Bear Lynch
FAST DASH: #0 Andrew Muse
DASH: #5 Jeff Sluss
QUICK TIME: #90 Kyle Patee 19.544
2013 Track Champion: #33 Bear Lynch
Art's Septic Figure 8s
Tension filled the air as the #50 Justin McKeachie and #26 Nick Martinez entered the final Figure 8 feature event separated by a mere 3 points and the two of them would start side-by-side... dead last. At the drop of the green flag McKeachie was blazing a trail to the front of the pack while Martinez was taking a more careful approach to the front. Up front #81 Dave Smith had brought out his old orange, red, and yellow Camaro and was wheeling it to perfection leading #2 Lance Proctor and #23 Big Al Duran.
#50 Justin McKaeachie and #26 Nick Martinez entered the final race seperated by just a few points. (Starr photo)
Naturally all eyes were on McKeachie and Martinez as they were both working their way through the field. Unfortunately for Martinez he and #17 Harry Livermore Jr. made contact entering turn 3 and both cars spun. Bad luck turned worse for Nick as the damage he sustained in the minor accident forced him to exit the track ending his chances at another championship.
#81 Dave Smith celebrates in winner's circle. (Starr photo)
When the checkered flag flew Hot Rod Dave Smith had held off all challengers and took home a VERY big win. Proctor finished 2nd, Duran was 3rd, and McKeachie come home 4th securing his first ever track championship. #00 James Naranjo finished in the top 10 in points granting him the 2013 Figure 8 Rookie of the Year honor.
Justin McKachie does celebration donuts after winning his first ever track championship. (Starr photo)
FEATURE WINNER: #81 Dave Smith
FAST DASH: #17 Harry Livermore Jr.
DASH: #40 Mike Mercer
2013 Track Champion: #50 Justin McKeachie
#354 Brian Polumbo
Super Late Models
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info Best Tm
1. 11 Darren Robertson Westminster CO 13 Victory Circle Chevy Impala 16.606
2. 12 Bruce Yackey Greeley CO 12 Port City Impala 16.777
3. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO 2010 Monte Carlo 16.891
4. 78 Darren Crocker Brighton CO 09 Lefthander Chevy 16.777
5. 84 Matt Zwingelberg Aurora CO SS Fusion 16.566
6. 37 Derek Murphy Colorado Springs CO 13 Port City Dodge Charger 16.824
7. 39 Jack Nugent Lafayette CO Lefthander
8. 7 Adam Deines Longmont CO 04 Dodge 16.791
9. 55 Jesse Runkle Lakewood CO 11 Howe 16.917
10. 21 Odie Robertson Northglen CO 11 Victory Circle 16.918
11. 45 Dalton Hewitt (R) Brighton CO 10 Howe Impala SS 16.909
12. 23g George Maldonado Colorado Springs CO 13 Dillion Monte Carlo 17.375
13. 54 Joe James Jr Denver CO 12 Hamkey Monte Carlo 16.830
14. 91 Chris Atkinson Cheyenne WY 11 Lefthander Monte Carlo 16.862
15. 31 Rick Smith Gering NE 13 Chevy SS 16.630
16. 22 Chris Eggleston Thornton CO 13 Lefthander Chevy 16.764
17. 66 Darren Bucklan Greeley CO 13 Lefthander Chevy 16.715
18. 23 Davin Fisbeck Thornton CO 07 Pathfinder 16.916
19. 48 Ed Vecchiarelli Jr Brighton CO 13 Left Hander Camery 16.587
20. 91d Frank Denning 17.446
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info Best Tm
1. 33 Bear Lynch Denver CO 80 Malibu M-80 19.897
2. 46 Richard Lothert Loveland CO 78 Nova 19.870
3. 98 Tony Dugan (R) Commerce City CO Monte Cutlass 19.882
4. 0 Andrew Mues Arvada CO 78 Seville 20.009
5. 13 Jason Morris Lakewood CO 77 Nova 20.023
6. 88 David Rothrock Jr Golden CO 82 Caprice 19.976
7. 10T Taylor Bellomy (R) Brighton CO 90 Caprice 20.123
8. 5 Jeff Sluss Northglenn CO 83 Monte Carlo 20.127
9. 6X Josh Parker Broomfield CO 79 Malibu 19.976
10. 97 Chris Muhler 20.163
11. 17 Loren Jesson Scotts Bluff NE 19.877
12. 8 David Gee (R) Loveland CO 76 Nova 20.212
13. 99 Michael Navarro (R) 20.247
14. 18 Josheph Prante (R) Denver CO 83 Regal 20.292
15. 02 Darrell Smith Littleton CO 85 Caprice 20.259
16. 2 Rusty Meranda (R) Laramie WY 87 Regal 20.500
17. 23 George Gallegos 20.663
18. 99R Ryan Raley Thornton CO 77 Chevy Monte Carlo 20.506
19. 77 Kevin Keller Englewood CO 79 Nova 20.810
20. 1 John Clark (R) Commerce City CO 77 Nova 20.885
21. 72 Hans Brewster Henderson CO 20.526
22. 11 Nick Tabor (R) Cheyenne WY 81 Monte Carlo 20.547
23. 90 Kyle Patee Thornton CO 86 Grand Prix 19.799
24. 3 Michael Cox Englewood CO 84 Grand Nat'l 19.889
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info Best Tm
1. 81 Dave Smith Englewood CO 78 Camaro
2. 2 Lance Proctor Arvada CO 03 Monte Carlo
3. 23 Al Duran Lakewood CO 03 Monte Carlo
4. 50 Justin McKeachie Aurora CO 03 Monte Carlo
5. 17 Harry Livermore Jr Englewood CO 77 Nova
6. 03 Luke Zike Morrison CO 03 Chevy Monte Carlo
7. 76 Brent Cave
8. 12 Harvey Webb Jr Northglenn 74 Camaro
9. 10 Frank Gastineau Denver CO 03 Monte Carlo
10. 15 Jereme Wall Commerce City CO 72 Chevy
11. 97 Adam Gastineau (R) Aurora CO 03 Chevy Monte Carlo
12. 26 Nick Martinez Denver CO 03 Howe Monte Carlo
13. 52 Jared Wall Commerce City CO 77 Camaro
14. 33 Bobby Hutchings (R) Denver CO 78 Camaro
15. 25 Phil Taylor
16. 40 Michael Mercer Thornton CO 75 Nova
17. 99 Ryan Raley(R) Thornton CO 08 Chevy Monte Carlo
18. 00 James Naranjo(R) Denver CO 75 Chevy Nora