Vanderwal wins his first in the Pro Trucks while Yackey and Smith thrill in the Super Late Models
Sunday, 02 June 2013 19:49
(06-01-2013 Dacono, CO) Interstate Ford Night at CNS featured one of the best races for the win in recent memory between 2 of Colorado National Speedways best. Gering Nebraska's Rick Smith and Bruce Yackey from Greeley Colorado put on a show in the Super Late Model Feature Event racing side-by side for almost the entire race. The Pro Truck division produced yet another first time winner as #34 Rudy Vanderwal visited winner's circle for the first time ever joining Adam Hilton and Mike Bernard as first time winner's in 2013.
Gillet Vet Super Late Models
The 2013 points chase in the Gillet Vet Clinic Super Late Model division could not be any closer between #12 Bruce Yackey and #31 Rick Smith who have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. That battle for the points lead was highlighted in dramatic fashion on Interstate Ford Night at CNS in the feature event when the two veteran drivers battled side by side for almost the entire race.
The CNS fans were treated to one of the most competitive yet clean races you will ever see in a 40 lap feature event. Smith started on the front row outside of #55 Jesse Runkle while Yackey started in row two along side the #7 of Adam Deines. Yackey made short work of both Deines and Runkle as he quickly moved up and then dove to the inside of Smith to challenge for the lead. From that point forward the two drivers were door to door trading the lead dozens of times, even swapping the lead multiple times in a single lap!
#6 Dominic Ursetta made a brief appearance in the battle for the lead but exited the track with mechanical problems leaving the race for Yackey and Smith to decide. With just 3 laps to go Smith and Yackey were still side by side as the fans cheered wildly in apreciation of such a great race.
On the final two laps it appeared that Smith's tires may have started to loose the grip Rick needed to stay on the outside of Yackey and "the Moose" pulled out to a small lead and eventually took the checkered flag. In winner's circle Yackey couldn't have been more complimentary towards Smith who he said raced him hard yet clean.
Just 2 points now separate Yackey who leads over Smith at the top of the standings. #11 Darren Robertson who started in 6th spot finished an impressive 3rd and #39 Jack Nugent was 4th. The final spot in the top 5 went to the #55 of Jesse Runkle.
#12 Bruce Yackey and #31 Rick Smith raced side by side for almost the entire 40 lap feature event at CNS (Starr Photo)
MAIN EVENT: #12 Bruce Yackey
FAST DASH: #12 Bruce Yackey
DASH: #27 Roger Avants
QUICK TIME: #6 Dominic Ursetta 16.127
Snap-On Tools Pro Trucks
#34 Rudy Vanderwal started on the pole position of the Pro Truck main event with #5 Troy Whittar on the outside. When the green flag dropped Vanderwal and Whittar raced side by side with neither driver giving an inch for the first 5 laps of the race.
It didn't take long for the green #41 Truck of Mark Neff who won the last feature event to enter the battle for the lead. Vanderwal, Neff, and Whittar, raced each other hard for dozens of laps putting on a great show for the fans.
Rudy Vanderwal in route to his first ever feature win (Starr Photo)
Not to be left out of the fun #27 of Roger the "Ice Man" Avants pulled his gorgeous blue and orange truck up on Whittar's bumper to join the battle. In the end it was Vanderwal's night as he held Neff at bay and went on to win his first ever Pro Truck feature event. Neff crossed the line 2nd, Whittar finished a strong 3rd, Avants was 4th and #36 Matt "the Pebble" Burton rounded out the top 5. With the win Vanderwal leads the 2013 season points race by 5 points over Neff with Whittar close behind in 3rd place.
An excited Rudy Vanderwal is interviewed by CNS track announcer Marc Moser on Interstate Fors Night at CNS (Starr photo)
MAIN EVENT: #34 Rudy Vanderwal
FAST DASH: #41 Mark Neff
QUICK TIME: #41 Mark Neff 16.594
NTC Logistics Super Stocks
#3 Michael Cox dominated the Super Stock portion of the Interstate Ford Night at the Races by winning the FAST DASH and winning the Feature Event. The only thing Cox didn't capture on the night was quick time in qualifying which was set by #33 Bear Lynch with a 19.580. And it was Bear Lynch that Cox had to pass in the feature to take the win which is no easy task. The race went nearly caution free as Lynch, Cox, and #88 David Rothrock navigated lapped traffic effortlessly. With the win Cox is a mere 2 points back from 2nd in points #13 Jason Morris and only 8 points back from Lynch who has the point lead.
#3 Michael Cox had to get past #33 Bear Lynch to catpure the Feature in teh Super Stocks (Starr Photo)
MAIN EVENT: #3 Michael Cox
FAST DASH: #3 Michael Cox
DASH: #02 Darrell Smith
QUICK TIME: #33 Bear Lynch 19.580
Kevin Kronfuss in the #777 car was victorious in the car division portion of the DEMOX while the Truck division saw #31 Dave Johnson take the win.
Super Late Models
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 12 Bruce Yackey Greeley CO 12 Port City Impala
2. 31 Rick Smith Gering NE 13 Chevy SS
3. 11 Darren Robertson Westminster CO 13 Victory Circle Chevy Impala
4. 39 Jack Nugent Lafayette CO Lefthander
5. 55 Jesse Runkle Lakewood CO 11 Howe
6. 7 Adam Deines Longmont CO 04 Dodge
7. 84 Matt Zwingelberg Aurora CO SS Fusion
8. 33 Emett Grazier Wheatridge CO Port City Chevy
9. 66 Darren Bucklan Greeley CO 13 Lefthander Chevy
10. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO 2010 Monte Carlo
11. 23 Davin Fisbeck Thornton CO 07 Pathfinder
12. 74 Dan Savage Aurora CO Ford
13. 14 Mark Bybee Littleton CO 12 Howe Impala
14. 81 Derek Smith Longmont CO 10 Impala
15. 91 Chris Atkinson Cheyenne WY 11 Lefthander Monte Carlo
16. 6 Dominic Ursetta Arvada CO 2013 Port City Impala SS
17. 12T Tyler Reedy (R) Fort Collins CO 08 Port City Impala
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 34 Rudy Vanderwal LaSalle CO 13 F150
2. 41 Mark Neff Westminster CO
3. 5 Troy Whittar Eastlake CO 04 Chevy Silverado
4. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO
5. 36 Matt Burton Englewood CO
6. 11 Steve Johnson Windsor CO
7. 29 Matthew Brunker Lakewood CO
8. 2 Alan Warren (R) Centennial CO
9. 10A Andy Bellomy (R) Fort Lupton CO
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 3 Michael Cox Englewood CO 84 Grand Nat'l
2. 33 Bear Lynch
3. 88 David Rothrock Jr Golden CO 82 Caprice
4. 13 Jason Morris Lakewood CO 77 Nova
5. 90 Kyle Patee Thornton CO 86 Grand Prix
6. 6X Josh Parker Broomfield CO 79 Malibu
7. 0 Andrew Mues Arvada CO 78 Seville
8. 8 David Gee (R) Loveland CO 76 Nova
9. 02 Darrell Smith Littleton CO 85 Caprice
10. 95 Todd Finley Brighton CO 76 Nova
11. 18 Josheph Prante (R) Denver CO 83 Regal
12. 11 Nick Tabor (R) Cheyenne WY 81 Monte Carlo
13. 77 Kevin Keller Englewood CO 79 Nova
14. 1 John Clark (R) Commerce City CO 77 Nova
15. 10 Taylor Bellomy (R) Brighton CO 90 Caprice
DNS 99 Michael Navarro (R)
DNS 72 Hans Brewster Henderson CO
DNS 61 John Humphrey Cheyenne WY 79 GAM