(07-26-2014 Dacono, CO) Erie Colorado’s own Chris Eggleston jumped in the #99 NAPA Filters/H20 Toyota and won the NAPA/Toyota 150 at Colorado National Speedway shocking the K&N Pro Series regulars. Chris led 107 of the 150 laps often by a wide margin. #9 Dylan Lupton made a strong late race challenge for the win but Eggleston saved just enough tire to hold off Lupton and secure his first ever K&N Pro Series West victory.
It’s always an exciting night when the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West cars come to town and treat the fans to the NAPA/Toyota 150 lap race at CNS. All the big name and up-and-coming drivers are at the speedway such as Greg Pursley, Dylan Lupton, Brandon McReynolds, David Mayhew, Thomas Martin, John Wood, Anthony Giannone, Giles Thornton, Jack Sellers, as well as hot rookie drivers James Bickford, Rich DeLong III, and Luis Tyrrell.
Adding to the intrigue of the race two local drivers Chris Eggleston and Jack Nugent picked up rides and were hoping to show the out-of-town drivers they could compete. Unfortunately for Nugent an ignition problem kept him from starting the race but Eggleston qualified well and would start 3rd in the race.
When the green flag dropped #17 David Mayhew would hold a small advantage over #16 Brandon McReynolds yet it was the #26 car of Greg Pursley who appeared to be the fastest car on the track and eventually worked his way to the lead. #22 Chris Eggleston had found a perfect line around the track running high coming out of turn 2 and low out of turn 4. Eggleston used that groove to move into second place and started to reel in Pursley for the lead. On lap 41 the local crowd erupted as Eggleston went around the outside of Pursley as if shot from a cannon coming out of turn 2 to lead the race. Not only did Chris grab the lead but he began to pull away from the field and at times had a near straightaway advantage between himself and his nearest competitor.
The tension mounted as several late race cautions would bunch the field. Eggleston’s car was slow on the restarts forcing him to power back around Pursley as well as #9 Dylan Lupton on the double-file restarts as the laps wound down.
In the final stages of the race Lupton chewed away at Eggleston’s lead and began to pressure for the top spot but Chris had held just enough back to fend off the challenge and won the race by about a half second. In winner’s circle an excited Eggleston jumped from his car and climbed the front straight catch fence to the delight of the cheering home town crowd.
Lupton would settle for 2nd place followed by his teammate #6 James Bickford. Pursley came across the line 4th and Brandon McReynolds was 5th. The K&N Series now heads to Iowa Speedway where Chris will get another shot in the #99 car in hopes of going 2 for 2.
NAPA/Toyota 150 Winner: #99 Chris Eggleston
K&N Quick Time: #17 David Mayhew 16.829
South Philly Cheesesteak Late Models
With the season that #8 Jeff Walbaum is having one might think he is running away with the points chase in the South Philly Cheesesteak Late Model division but #76 Chad Cowen and #7 Ethan Penrod are still with in striking distance demonstrating how competitive this division is. Walbaum would cruise to his 4th feature win of the season after passing #99 Nick Brinlee for the lead on lap 5. As the race neared it’s conclusion the only car near Walbaum was the #7 of Ethan Penrod who was all alone in second place. With 10 laps to go the rain began to fall and the race was called with Walbaum being awarded the victory. Penrod settled for 2nd and Cowen was 3rd. #88 David Rothrock Jr. and #99 Nick Brinlee also finished in the top 5.
FEATURE WINNER: #8 Jeff Walbaum
QUICK TIME: #8 Jeff Walbaum 17.774
Snap-On Tools Pro Trucks
The closest finish of the night was clearly in the Pro Truck division as #34 Rudy Vanderwal stole back the lead from #31 Justin Simonson on the final corner of the final lap to take the win. Simnonson and Vanderwal had been battling for most of the race yet Rudy “The Flying Dutchman” began to pull away late. However a caution flag setup a green, white checker finish and Simonson got a great restart grabbing the lead. Yet the determined Vanderwal dove low in turns 3 & 4 to regain the top spot and win by the smallest of margins. #36 Matt Burton was 3rd behind Simonson, #7 Adam Deines was 4th and “Aquaman” Troy Witthar was 5th in the #5 Truck.
FEATURE WINNER: #34 Rudy Vanderwal
QUICK TIME: #34 Rudy Vanderwal 16.689
Art’s Septic Figure 8’s
The Figure 8 division is one of the most competitive classes at CNS with the top 3 drivers in season standings being separated by just 2 points! Jared Wall leads the group with 185 points and Harry Livermore Jr. and Al Duran are right behind with 184 & 183.Yet none of the top 3 would visit winner’s circle on this night as it was last years champion #50 Justin Mackeachie who would bring home the trophy after a great battle with #23 “Big” Al Duran who retired from the race in the final stages. #17 Harry Livermore Jr. was 2nd, #15 Jereme Wall was 3rd, #81 “Hot Rod” Dave was 4th and rounding out the top 5 was #9 Brent Cave.
20 LAP FEATURE WINNER: #50 Justin Mackeachie
OFFICIAL FINISHING ORDER
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST-NAPA Auto Parts/Toyota 150 Results
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Chris Eggleston, Erie, Colo., Toyota, 150 laps, 62.890 mph.
2. (5) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif., Ford, 150.
3. (6) James Bickford, Napa, Calif., Ford, 150.
4. (4) Greg Pursley, Newhall, CA, Ford, 150.
5. (2) Brandon McReynolds, Mooresville, N.C., Toyota, 150.
6. (8) Thomas Martin, Auburn, Calif., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (9) Brett Thompson, Jerome, Idaho, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (16) Bill Kann, Scottsdale, Ariz., Toyota, 150.
9. (13) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Toyota, 150.
10. (10) Jairo Avila, Los Angeles, Calif., Toyota, 150.
11. (15) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 146.
12. (14) Rich DeLong III, Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 145.
13. (12) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Springs, Colo., Toyota, 144.
14. (1) David Mayhew, Atascadero, CA, Chevrolet, 134.
15. (11) Justin Funkhouser, Paradise, CA, Chevrolet, 66, rear end.
16. (17) Rich DeLong Jr., Santa Clarita, Calif., Chevrolet, 6, electrical.
17. (7) Jack Nugent, Lafayette, Colo., Toyota, 0, ignition.
Time of Race: 52 minutes 57 seconds
Margin of Victory: .434 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Mayhew (79.149 mph, 16.829 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 20 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Mayhew 1-20; B. McReynolds 21-27; G. Pursley 28-40; C. Eggleston 41-89; G. Pursley 90-91; C. Eggleston 92-139; D. Lupton 140; C. Eggleston 141-150.
Standings: 1. G. Pursley, 342; 2. D. Lupton, 317; 3. B. McReynolds, 307; 4. D. Mayhew, 293; 5. J. Bickford, 267; 6. T. Martin, 263; 7. J. Wood, 238; 8. A. Giannone, 233; 9. R. DeLong III, 224; 10. J. Sellers, 207.
Pos No. Name Hometown Points
1. 8 Jeff Walbaum Brighton CO 40
2. 7 Ethan Penrod Thornton CO 38
3. 76 Chad Cowan Gering NE 36
4. 88 David Rothrock (R) 34
5. 99 Nick Brinlee Broomfield CO 32
6. 19 Scott Miller Brighton CO 30
7. 31 Derek Smith Longmont CO 28
8. 3 Wade Grove Thornton CO 26
9. 33 Christopher Burskirk (R) Bayard NE 24
10. 30 Jan Oxley Ft. Lupton CO 22
11. 27 Wendi Lewis Johnstown CO 20
12. 32 Brett Yackey (R) Greeley CO 18
13. 3x Daniel Jenssen 16
14. 4 Matt Curless 14
15. 29 Rayshawn Carter Commerce City CO 12
16. 21 Loren Jessen(R) 10
17. 28 Alan Carter Commerce City CO 8
18. 97 Adam Gastineau 6
DNS 44 Greg Lee (R) Parker CO 0
Pos No. Name Hometown Points
1. 34 Rudy Vanderwal LaSalle CO 40
2. 31 Justin Simonson Wheatridge CO 38
3. 36 Matt Burton Englewood CO 36
4. 7 Adam Deines Longmont CO 34
5. 5 Troy Witthar Eastlake CO 32
6. 82 Michael Scott (R) Cheyenne WY 30
7. 2 AJ Warren Longmont CO 28
8. 10T Taylor Bellomy(R) Brighton CO 26
9. 11 Steve Johnson Windsor CO 24
10. 29 Matthew Brunker Lakewood CO 22
11. 52 Jereme Wall (R) Commerce City CO 20
12. 65 George Green (R) Firestone 18
13. 14 Alex Ortiz (R) Denver CO 16
14. 16 Scott Rhoades Westminster CO 14
15. 15 Mike Bernard Ft Collins CO 12
Pos No. Name Hometown Points
1. 50 Justin McKeachie Aurora CO 40
2. 17 Harry Livermore Jr Denver CO 38
3. 15 Jereme Wall Commerce City CO 36
4. 81 Dave Smith Englewood CO 34
5. 9 Brent Cave (R) Thornton CO 32
6. 52 Jared Wall Commerce City CO 30
7. 40 Mike Mercer Arvada CO 28
8. 97 Adam Gastineau (R) Aurora CO 26
9. 23 Al Duran Lakewood CO 24
10. 00 James Naranjo Denver CO 22
11. 10 Frank Gastineau Denver CO 20
12. 03 Luke Zike Arvada CO 18
13. 44 Jerome Hohn Denver CO 16