K&N Pro Series West cars thrill the CNS crowd in the their annual appearance (Starr photo)
(07-27-2013 Dacono, CO) A massive crowd was on hand at Colorado National Speedway to witness the K&N Pro Series West cars in their annual appearance at the track. California’s Derek Thorn held off challenges from several drivers to win the Toyota/NAPA 150 while Lee Kemmit, Mark Neff, and Justin Mackeachie, were victorious in the Late Models, Pro Trucks, and Figure 8s.
K&N Pro Series West
Lakeport California’s Derek Thorn set quicktime in the K&N Pro Series West qualifying with a time of 16.609 which put the blue and orange #6 Ford on the pole for the 150 lap feature event. After driver introductions were complete rain began to fall on the speedway which delayed the start of the race by almost 2 hours. After track crews dried the track the engines were fired back up and the race went green. Thorn used the pole position to gain the early lead but last years NAPA/Toyota 150 winner Greg Pursley in the #26 was all over Thorn battling for the lead.
While Thorn led all but two laps of the race he was never able to relax as he was constantly fighting off challenges for the lead from a variety of drivers. Cameron Hayley from Calgary Alberta Canada in the #24 Ford was Thorn’s main source of pressure as Hayley had found a comfortable groove low on the track. Lap after lap Hayley would pull up along side Thorn but just didn’t have enough to get by the leader.
At the halfway mark of the race a great 3 car battle for the lead had heated up between Thorn, Pursley, and Hayley, which had the large CNS crowd buzzing. As the leaders approached slower cars Hayley saw his chance and made a bold move for the lead coming out of turn 4 but a lapped car got lose in front of the race leader Thorn and slid down in front of Hayley which appeared to ruin Cameron’s best shot at taking the lead.
As the race began to wind down it appeared that Hayley had possibly used up his tires trying to catch Thorn as the 24 car began to fade a bit. Thorn went on to take the checkered flag followed by another Canadian driver #20 Jamie Krzysik who finished strong in 2nd. Hayley hung on for 3rd, #9 Giles Thornton was 4th, and Pursley crossed the line 5th.
Race winner #6 Derek Thorn, #24 Cameron Hayley, and #26 Greg Pursley, have a 3-way battle for the lead (Starr photo)
NAPA/Toyota 150: #6 Derek Thorn
QUICK TIME: #6 Derek Thorn 16.609
Pair A Dice Interior Finishes Late Models
Former track champion #46 Eric “Blackie” Blackard led the first 7 laps of the Pair A Dice Interior Finishes Late Model feature event but it was the black and orange Camaro of Lee Kemmit who took the lead and never looked back. The only car in the field that appeared to have anything for Kemmit was the #17 of Paul Deines who began to close on Kemmit late in the race. A light sprinkle of rain delayed the finish of the race for a few minutes but with 5 laps to go the green flag flew again and Kemmit held off Deines to take the win. Behind Kemmit and Deines, #84 Bruce Borchardt took 3rd spot, #99 Nick Brinlee was 4th, and the final spot in the top 5 went to Blackard. With the win Kemmit is now just 5 points back of Deines in what is proving to be a very competitive division.
#98 Lee Kemmit passes race leader #46 Eric “Blackie Blackard” on route to victory (Starr photo)
MAIN EVENT: #98 Lee Kemmit
QUICK TIME: #8 Jeff Walbaum 17.643
Snap-On Tools Pro Trucks
In what was clearly the most competitive race of the night #41 Mark Neff and #06 Adam Hilton thrilled the crowd in the Snap-On Tools Pro Truck feature event as the two of them raced side by side for almost the entire race. Hilton had come to the front from the 2nd row and Neff from all the way back in his 10th starting position. Hilton led the race early but Neff grabbed the lead with 18 laps to go. When Neff jumped out front some may have predicted he would put distance on the field but Hilton was having none of that as he battled back on the low side of Neff. Behind the leaders #27 Roger Avants, #34 Rudy Vanderwal, and #7 Adam Deines, were having a battle of their own until Deines was sent to the rear for spinning Avants and bringing out the caution flag. Hilton did his best to get by Neff on the restart but it wasn’t to be as the green #41 truck took the win.
#41 Race winner Mark Neff and #06 Adam Hilton battled the entire race for the win (Starr photo)
MAIN EVENT: #41 Mark Neff
QUICK TIME: #41 Mark Neff 16.627
Art’s Septic Service Figure 8s
A huge field of 21 Figure 8s checked into the pits and proceeded to lineup to kick off the night’s events for the NAPA/Toyota 150. #81 Dave Smith and #40 Mike Mercer occupied the front row. On the first lap as the field came out of turn 4 and entered the X Mercer’s car slowed dramatically sending the cars behind him scrambling to avoid contact, #23 Big Al Duran slid sideways into the infield in a cloud of dust. Duran was able to continue without damage.
#12 Harvey Webb stole the show with some of the most daring passes through the X in recent memory (Starr photo)
On the restart “Hot Rod” Dave Smith grabbed the lead and appeared to be the fastest car on the track as he led for several laps. The focus of the race shifted to Northglenn Colorado’s Harvey Webb Jr. in the #12 Camaro as his fearless passes through the X had the entire crowd roaring in excitement. Unfortunately for race leader Smith a caution was displayed for debris on the track which turned out to be for Smith’s own muffler that was sitting in turn 4. On the restart Smith lost the lead to #50 Justin Mackeachie who held off Smith to take the win followed closely by Smith, #52 Jared Wall, #26 Nick Martinez, and #17 Harry Livermore Jr.
#50 Juston Mackeachie passes #81 Dave Smith to win the Figure 8 feature event (Starr photo)
MAIN EVENT: #50 Justin Mackeachie
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST
Toyota/NAPA Auto Parts 150
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, Calif., Ford, 150 laps, 65.897 mph.
2. (6) Jamie Krzysik, Grande Prairie, Alberta, Toyota, 150.
3. (3) Cameron Hayley, Calgary, Alberta, Ford, 150.
4. (9) Giles Thornton, Whitefish, Mont., Toyota, 150.
5. (2) Greg Pursley, Newhall, Calif., Ford, 150.
6. (4) Michael Self, Park City, Utah, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (8) Taylor Cuzick, Tolleson, Ariz., Ford, 150.
8. (5) Eric Holmes, Escalon, Calif., Toyota, 150.
9. (10) Brett Thompson, Jerome, Idaho, Chevrolet, 150.
10. (14) Dylan Lupton, Wilton, Calif., Ford, 149.
11. (7) Travis Milburn, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 149.
12. (11) Daryl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 149.
13. (12) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Sprgs, Colo., Chevrolet, 148.
14. (16) Carl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 146.
15. (17) Jack Chisholm, Cranbrook, British Columbia, Ford, 140.
16. (19) Bill Kann, Tempe, Ariz., Toyota, 135.
17. (13) Dylan Hutchison, Fair Oaks, Calif., Chevrolet, 132.
18. (15) John Wood, Eagle, Idaho, Toyota, 101, ignition.
19. (18) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, Calif., Chevrolet, 58, fuel pressure.
Time of Race: 50 minutes 32 seconds
Margin of Victory: .403 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Thorn (80.197 mph, 16.609 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 11 laps.
Lead Changes: 4 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Thorn 1-90; C. Hayley 91; D. Thorn 92-138; C. Hayley 139; D. Thorn
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 98 Lee Kemmit Thornton CO 08 Charger
2. 17 Paul Deines Gering NE ’08 Impala
3. 84 Bruce Borchardt Lafayette CO 03 Grand Prix
4. 99 Nick Brinlee Broomfield CO 78 Cutlass
5. 46 Eric Blackard Lakewood CO 03 Monte Carlo
6. 8 Jeff Walbaum Brighton CO 08 Impala
7. 19 Scott Miller (R) Brighton CO 11 Camaro
8. 3 Wade Grove Thornton CO ’04 Impala
9. 41 Dale Reeder Westminster CO 08 Charger
10. 24 Joe Martinez (R) Centennial CO Monte Carlo
11. 85 Kaden Webb Arvada CO 03 Grand Prix
12. 58 Jeff Webb Arvada CO 05 Monte Carlo
13. 28 Alan Carter Commerce City CO ’10 Monte Carlo
14. 75 Emilio Abeyta (R)
15. 22 Joe Matlock (R) Aurora CO ’03 Dodge Avenger
16. 67 Stephanie Brown Littleton CO 07 Impala
17. 30 Jan Oxley Ft. Lupton CO 03 Monte Carlo
18. 27 Wendi Lewis Johnstown CO 02 Grand Prix
19. 29 Rayshawn Carter Commerce City CO 10 Monte Carlo
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 41 Mark Neff Westminster CO
2. 06 Adam Hilton Brighton CO
3. 34 Rudy Vanderwal LaSalle CO 13 F150
4. 27 Roger Avants Littleton CO
5. 5 Troy Whittar Eastlake CO 04 Chevy Silverado
6. 7 Adam Deines
7. 10T Taylor Bellomy (R)
8. 15 Mike Bernard Ft Collins CO F150
9. 2 Alan Warren (R) Longmont CO
10. 11 Steve Johnson Windsor CO
11. 36 Matt Burton Englewood CO
12. 10A Andy Bellomy (R) Fort Lupton CO
13. 29 Matthew Brunker Lakewood CO
Pos No. Name Hometown Car Info
1. 50 Justin McKeachie Aurora CO
2. 81 Dave Smith Englewood CO 78 Camaro
3. 52 Jared Wall Commerce City CO 77 Camaro
4. 26 Nick Martinez Denver CO 03 Howe Monte Carlo
5. 17 Harry Livermore Jr Englewood CO 77 Nova
6. 23 Al Duran Lakewood CO 03 Monte Carlo
7. 10 Frank Gastineau Denver CO 03 Monte Carlo
8. 03 Luke Zike Morrison CO 03 Chevy Monte Carlo
9. 40 Michael Mercer Thornton CO 75 Nova
10. 12 Harvey Webb Jr Northglenn 74 Camaro
11. 15 Jereme Wall Commerce City CO 72 Chevy
12. 2 Lance Proctor Arvada CO 03 Monte Carlo
13. 00 James Naranjo(R) Denver CO 75 Chevy Nora
14. 76 Brent Cave
15. 71 Tyler Dowler Denver CO 71 Chevy Camaro
16. 25 Phil Taylor
17. 11 Joe Gastineau Denver CO 03 Chevy
DNS 14 James Donaldson Arvada CO 99 Monte Carlo
DNS 33 Bobby Hutchings (R) Denver CO 78 Camaro